Home / News / DVSA releases new guidance for drivers and hauliers for a no-deal Brexit

DVSA releases new guidance for drivers and hauliers for a no-deal Brexit

News | 7th Oct 2019

The Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT) has highlighted new guidance from DVSA for commercial hauliers and drivers in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

This new guidance covers the correct licences and permits drivers will need, clarification on UK and non UK based Driver CPC qualification eligibility, tachographs and moving goods from the UK into the EU. Some key information for UK based drivers and hauliers is as follows.

UK hauliers must have the correct licences and permits: Hauliers can continue to use their current licences to do journeys to and from the EU. This currently applies until 31st December 2019, but is expected to be extended to 31st July 2020.Hauliers with a Community Licence will be able to continue to use these after a no-deal Brexit during the transitional period.

UK drivers must have the correct documents: Drivers with a current UK Driver CPC, who work for UK hauliers, will not need to take any additional action to prepare for a no-deal Brexit. UK Driver CPC will continue to be valid for drivers of all journeys that UK operators are entitled to undertake. When driving in the EU, drivers need to carry their CPC qualification card at all times. Individuals driving vehicles under 3.5 tonnes, including vans, do not need to hold a DCPC qualification.

Any drivers who work for, or plan to work for, an EU company will need to take action as their UK based qualification will no longer be recognised as a valid qualification by EU employers. Read more about Driver CPC after Brexit and how you and your drivers can prepare.

This new guidance will help employers to provide information to drivers on Brexit specific enquiries. There is also a pamphlet available to employers to handout to their drivers, or circulate within their organisation. Download the pamphlet here.

To read all the guidance in full, visit the Gov.uk website.