LGV Instructor Training
The LGV Instructor course provides candidates with the skills necessary to prepare drivers for the DVSA driving tests, to deliver Driver CPC training, and to carry out post-assessment/incident remedial training. It also prepares candidates for the independent National Register of LGV Instructors (NRI) examination.
Delivered by the UK’s best Instructors, who all come with real-world transport and logistics experience, we provide the highest quality RTITB Instructor and Assessor training courses – at our dedicated training Academy in Telford, UK, on your site, or via remote videoconferencing software. What is a remote Instructor course? Find out more here.
All candidates must successfully complete an independent examination to qualify as an LGV Instructor – an internationally recognised qualification. Successful candidates are eligible to register on the National Register of LGV Instructors (NRI).
By the end of the course candidates will:
- Be able to plan and deliver LGV training
- Be able to recall and discuss the responsibilities of a LGV instructor
- Be able to explain the content and objectives of the LGV driving test
This course is suitable for candidates who:
- Have held (or still hold) a valid category C or C+E entitlement for 3 years or more
- Have significant experience as professional LGV drivers
- Have the confidence to present to small and large groups of their peers
- Have strong knowledge of the Highway Code
- Have good communication skills
The course provides candidates with the skills necessary to prepare drivers for the DVSA driving tests, to deliver LGV Instructor training, and to carry out post-assessment/incident remedial training. It also prepares candidates for the independent National Register of LGV Instructors (NRI) examination.
The LGV instructor course concludes with an objective examination carried out by an NRI examiner. All elements of the examination must be passed in order to successfully qualify as an LGV Instructor.
RTITB consortium members and approved LGV Driver Training Standards members are eligible for a 20% discount on course prices.
To make a booking, select a course type below and search for dates, alternatively please call our Academy team on +44(0)1952 520214.
We’d love for you to visit us at the Instructor Academy to meet the team and see our facilities. Let us know when you would like to visit.
Book a course at the Academy
LGV Instructor Course Initial
A course for experienced LGV drivers who wish to deliver LGV driver training and who have not been formally trained as an Instructor before.
1 candidate, 1 instructor, 1 vehicle: 7 days £4595 (including NRI examination fees)
2 candidates, 1 instructor, 1 vehicle: 10 days £6806 (including NRI examination fees)
LGV Instructor Conversion (DVSA or RTITB to NRI)
A course for currently registered DVSA or RTITB LGV Instructors who wish to become a qualified NRI LGV instructor.
1 candidate, 1 instructor, 1 vehicle: 3 days £2211 (including NRI examination fees)
2 candidates, 1 instructor, 1 vehicle: 4 days £3230 (including NRI examination fees)
LGV Instructor Conversion (other qualifications)
A course for experienced LGV drivers who have been previously trained as instructors (for example PTTLS, RTITB lift truck Instructor, ADI etc.) who wish to become a qualified RTITB LGV Instructor.
1 candidate, 1 instructor, 1 vehicle: 4 days £2807 (including NRI examination fees)
2 candidates, 1 instructor, 1 vehicle: 5 days £3826 (including NRI examination fees)
• Role of the instructor
• Preparation of a training course
• Preparing lesson plans
• In-cab instruction
• Classroom lesson delivery
• Vocabulary and phraseology
• Object and scope of the DVSA driving test
• Teaching manoeuvring exercises
• Report writing
• Training route selection
• Road Transport Regulations
• The theory of driving including road observation and planning (instructors viewpoint)
Part 1: Multiple choice theory test
• 100 questions
• 85% overall pass mark and 80% in each of the following areas: instructional techniques, legislation, highway code, safe driving and testing
Part 2: Practical driving ability test
• No more than 6 minors
• No serious or dangerous
• Successfully complete one off road exercise
Part 3: In-cab training delivery test
• Deliver training for a new skill – 33/47
• Remedial Training for a candidate suffering skill fade – 27/39
• Demonstration drive & commentary (post-test failure) – 51/73
Part 4: In-class training delivery test
• 84/120 pass mark
It is beneficial to familiarise yourself with the following webpages, publications and documents prior to attending a goods vehicle instructor course. It is by no means compulsory to download/purchase and read all of these items, they are provided as recommendations only of what is likely to assist in preparation for course attendance.